Your Ad here ...



Product ...

Services ...

Other things ...

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>
BUSKER OF THE DAY: Folk Music in Gujrati
Where: Interlink between Jubilee and Picadilly Line
When: 8:30 a.m.
Who: Hare Rama Hare Krishna for the Lilith Fair

That long walk between lines this morning was filled with a happy-sad tune on the guitar and the voice of a young woman drifting all the way through the blue tiled corridors. How pretty, I initially thought, I wonder what she's singing... Weaving through the zigzag of commuters in the morning, I anticipated the music of this morning's busker that grew less and less faint as I walked quicker through the crowd. I've learned to recognize whether a song is original or a cover, whether it's a professional or a student and whether it's legal or not, and I almost always appreciate the music that's being played for me so early in the morning.

Walking through the tube, I could listen to the faint plucking of a guitar and a soulful voice, but I could not make out the words. The inspiration seemed a pre-Sprite add Jewel but the words made no sense whatsoever. Approaching her closer, she had the look right (disheveled blonde hair held back with a flower pin and a grey cardigan), she had the right instrument (a battered guitar with a flower sticker on it) and definitely had a pretty voice, but what the hell was she singing?

Only when I got closer did I realize the words were not in English (and I wasn't hallucinating because of a lack of oxygen underground) and in fact the woman was singing in Indian - Gujrati to be exact (as it said on her CD that I glimpsed at in confusion). Our Busker Of The Day was singing sweet, female teen angst folk music, but in Gujrati - please not she was not singing Gujrati folk music, which I've never heard, but I doubt would sound anything like Sarah McLaughlan on a summer day.

Nonetheless, this annoyed me, but she still is branded Busker Of The Day. If you see her, tell her that mixing too many things in one does not work and she should just stick to singing folk music since she's got the look down. If she wants to throw in some Indian influences, she can put on a white robe & dance around Leicster Square with a bucket of change (and hopefully get slapped with an ASBO).


(just in case you want to know a little bit more about busking on the tube)
1 Comments:

"Sarah McLaughlan on a summer day"

way to go lilith

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home