Your Ad here ...



Product ...

Services ...

Other things ...

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>
Retro meets Soho
So I'm walking along to Old Crompton Street where my favourite falafel shop is to meet girlfriend. On my way I see a pretty girl walking a cute little dog, a very basic description for an interesting scene. It's a busy street and I don't think anyone notices just what's so different about this girl, or maybe they're indifferent to it because they're used to seeing "weird" people and they've seen it all. But this girl looks like she's just jumped out of a 40's advert for soap or some house cleaning product. Her shaven eyebrows are penciled in with a high Bette Davis arch. Her lips are scarlet red and her wardrobe looks spectacular in her cute yellow print blouse and cocktail skirt. Her hair is tied up in curlers just like they did in the old days, but covered with a scarf to hold them all in. What's missing is a cigarette hanging between her lips to make that image complete, because she really does have that pout down to a tee! What sets her apart from the vintage adverts you see is that she has a piercing in each cheek where a dimple should be. I absolutely loved her look and wished I had a camera to take her picture. To me she looked priceless because you cannot see that anywhere else.

The description is in the present tense because I see similar people dotted around Soho all the time. The difference is they give their look that punk twist. There is a man who walks around Wardour Street with his snappy vintage suits and spiffy spatz. His black hair is usually slicked back and his thin moustache is always groomed against his otherwise clean shaven face. What sets him apart from the vintage poster for a jazz club? His tattoos. He is absolutely covered in the most colourful tattoos you can imagine. It's like a walking retro acid trip looking at him as most of his body is covered in different colours and images, including his ears which have a star tattooed on each lobe.

I love how these people look like they've just stepped out of a Dick Tracey comic book with their colourful outfits. It's like retro meets punk. I love how they strut their stuff down the street in their 3 inch pumps and scarlet or ruby red lipstick. Maybe they exist in other parts of London, but when sitting in my fish tank I can't help but be mesmerised when watching them go by.
3 Comments:

I Think I just went on a retro acid trip reading this.

Thank you, i needed it

4:44 pm  

That was fun ! :)

12:58 pm  

still nothing new?

12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home